Public Affairs Team Chairman Dean Acosta will introduce several new board members during a media roundtable, describe the board's role and lead a discussion on the Coalition's activities and goals for 2009. Participating board members are listed below. A full list of Coalition for Space Exploration Board of Advisors will be provided at the briefing Monday, March 30.
Dean Acosta, is the current chair, Coalition for Space Exploration, Public Affairs Team
The Coalition for Space Exploration new advisory board members are:
- Dr. Roger Crouch — scientist and payload specialist on two space shuttle missions in 1997; served as a program scientist on five different Spacelab flights; helped organize and has served as co-chair for Microgravity Science Working Groups between NASA and space agencies from the European Union, France, Germany, Japan and Russia; currently consults and travels from his base in Washington, DC, to share his story with students across the country
- Fred Gregory — former NASA astronaut, research test pilot and deputy administrator; currently managing director, aerospace and defense strategies at Lohfeld Consulting Group Inc. in Alexandria, Va., where he leads the aerospace and defense strategy practice
- Dr. Tom Jones — former NASA astronaut who flew on four space shuttle missions (STS-59, STS-68, STS-80, STS-98); scientist; pilot; member of the NASA Advisory Council; currently an author, speaker and consultant who splits his time between Houston, Texas, and the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC
- Nick Lampson — former member of the U.S. House of Representatives from the 22nd Congressional District of Texas, including Johnson Space Center; served in key role on the Space Science Transportation Committee and was instrumental in legislation that generated positive results for NASA; currently consulting from his home base in Beaumont, Texas
- Miles O'Brien — 26-year broadcast news veteran; worked for nearly 17 years as a correspondent, anchor and producer for CNN based in Atlanta and New York, at various times serving as CNN's science, space, aviation technology and environment correspondent; recently completed his first live streaming Webcast of the Space Shuttle Discovery launch in partnership with www.spaceflightnow.com; currently working on a documentary with PBS titled, "Blueprint America: A Tale of Three Cities"
- Dr. Dave Weldon — former member of the U.S. House of Representatives from the 15th Congressional District of Florida, including Kennedy Space Center; served in key role on the Space Science Transportation Committee and was instrumental in legislation that generated positive results for NASA; currently practicing medicine in Palm Bay, Florida, and consulting