As an official European Union Regulatory Agency, the European GNSS Agency (GSA) manages public interests related to European GNSS programs.
The GSA’s mission is to support European Union objectives and achieve the highest return on European GNSS investment, in terms of benefits to users and economic growth and competitiveness. The organization has just released their European GNSS Agency’s (GSA) 2017 GNSS Market Report, which offers an in-depth look at market opportunities and trends within the dynamic Location Based Services (LBS) segment.
The global GNSS market is expected to grow from 5.8 billion devices in use in 2017 to an estimated 8 billion by 2020. Today, nearly 3 billion mobile applications already rely on GNSS-based positioning information, including smartphones, tablets, tracking devices, digital cameras, portable computers and fitness gear. According to the 5th edition of the GSA’s popular GNSS Market Report, the extraordinary growth of GNSS in the LBS segment is set to continue.
Key trends highlighted in the Market Report include
- More than 90 percent of context-aware smartphone apps now rely on GNSS
- All high-end smartphones are multi-constellation capable, and numerous Galileo-capable smartphones are already on the market
- Having access to GNSS raw measurements directly on a smartphone opens new possibilities for app developers
Regularly referenced by policy-makers and business leaders around the world, the GNSS Market Report serves as the go-to resource for an in-depth look at GNSS market opportunities and trends across an array of essential market segments.
New edition, new additions
The GNSS Market Report takes a comprehensive look at the global GNSS market, providing a thorough analysis per market segment (Location-Based Services (LBS), Road Transportation, Aviation, Maritime, Rail, Agriculture, Surveying and Timing & Synchronization), region and application type, including information on shipments, revenues and installed device base. This edition includes such new features as:
- An expanded section on macro-trends like the Internet of Things (IoT), Smart Cities and Big Data
- Segment-specific user perspectives, with an emphasis on the increasingly stringent demands of today’s GNSS users
- The unique added-value that European GNSS (EGNOS and Galileo) brings to each segment and how Galileo is already enhancing the functioning of many applications
- A special feature on the important role that GNSS plays in the growing market of drones (i.e., UAVs/Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems)
The GSA GNSS Market Report is compiled by the GSA and the European Commission and was produced using the GSA’s systematic Marketing Monitoring and Forecasting Process. The underlying market model uses advanced forecasting techniques applied to a wide range of input data, assumptions, and scenarios to forecast the size of the GNSS market in terms of shipments, revenue, and installed base of receivers.
Historical values are anchored to actual data in order to ensure a high level of accuracy. Assumptions are confronted with expert opinions in each market segment and application and model results are cross-checked against the most recent market research reports from independent sources before being validated through an iterative consultation process involving pertinent sector experts and stakeholders.