At their annual meeting on November 10th, the Board of Directors of the Space Foundation elected Gen. William L. Shelton, USAF (Ret.) to a one-year term as Vice Chairman of the Board—Shelton is the former Commander, Air Force Space Command.
- ADM James O. Ellis, Jr., USN (Ret.), will continue as Chairman of the Board of Directors. A former commander of United States Strategic Command, Ellis is an Annenberg Distinguished Fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Kathryn Thornton, Ph.D., was re-elected to a one-year term as Special Director for Education. Thornton is a former NASA astronaut, and is a professor at the University of Virginia.
- Re-elected to a one-year term as Secretary was Kay N. Sears, Vice President, Strategy and Business Development, Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company (SSC).
- Also on the executive committee is Treasurer Hoyt Davidson, Managing Partner, Near Earth LLC, and Director Emeritus Lon. C. Levin, President and CEO of GEOshare, who was re-elected to a second term and appointed Member-at-Large.
The Space Foundation Chief Executive Officer position remains vacant, as of this writing.
Re-elected to second terms on the Board were:
- Michael C. Gass, former President and Chief Executive Officer, United Launch Alliance
- Fritz Merkle, Ph.D., member of the Executive Board, OHB System AG
Members of the Board of Directors include:
- New Generation Space Leader - Victoria Alonsopérez, Founder, Chipsafer; former Chair, Space Generation Advisory Council
- Richard F. Ambrose, Executive Vice President, Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
- Alice Bunn, Ph.D., Director of Policy, UK Space Agency
- The Honorable Robert E. "Bud" Cramer, Managing Director, C2Group/FTI Consulting
- John W. Elbon, Vice President and General Manager, The Boeing Company - Space Exploration
- The Honorable Thomas C. Feeney, III, President and Chief Executive Officer, Associated Industries of Florida
- Jeffrey D. Grant, Sector Vice President and General Manager, Space Systems, Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems
- Blake E. Larson, Chief Operating Officer, Orbital ATK
- Amy Mainzer, Ph.D., Senior Research Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- P.J. O’Rourke, author and political satirist
- Robert D. Richards, Ph.D., Founder & CEO, Moon Express, Inc.
- Ronald M. Sega, Ph.D., Director, Systems Engineering Programs, Colorado State University; former NASA astronaut
- Richard R. Yuse, Vice President, Raytheon Company, President, Space and Airborne Systems
The new Board terms commence on January 1, 2017.