[SatNews] Globalstar, Inc. (OTCQB:GSAT) has unveiled Sat-Fi, a new voice and data solution that provides seamless integration between any Wi-Fi enabled device (i.e., smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc.) and Globalstar's new satellite constellation.
With Sat-Fi, Globalstar customers can use their existing smartphones and existing phone numbers to send and receive communications over the Company's satellite network, offering seamless voice and data connectivity when beyond the range of cellular. This new technology means that people who find themselves outside of cell coverage, for whatever reason, can use their existing smartphones or computers to always stay connected.
Through a convenient app and Sat-Fi satellite hot spot, subscribers will be able to easily send and receive calls, email and SMS text messages anywhere within Globalstar's footprint from their own device. Like all Globalstar mobile satellite solutions, Sat-Fi is built and priced to appeal to a broad addressable market, including enterprise and government customers as well as the mass consumer market. Whether on land or at sea, Sat-Fi subscribers will be able to maintain constant, reliable connectivity when traveling in and out of cellular coverage with seamless handoff capabilities, while permitting numerous individuals to communicate through a single Sat-Fi hot spot using their existing devices and phone numbers.
Roughly two billion people in the world either live, work or play beyond the range of terrestrial networks. Additionally there are those people who temporarily find themselves without cellular coverage for whatever reason, including, but not limited to:
- Emergency responders and those impacted by natural or man-made disasters where cell coverage often becomes unavailable, which was experienced during Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy, recent tornado outbreaks and the Northeast blackout of 2003
- Recreational or commercial boat owners and enthusiasts, and their passengers, who need to be able to make calls, send emails and communicate via SMS text messages over satellite while maintaining the capabilities and flexibility of their existing smartphones and computers
- Oil and Gas and other natural resources industries who rely on constant, cost-effective connectivity for work productivity and peace of mind
- Temporary industrial work sites that rely on simple, constant voice and data connectivity within a portable office environment
- Avid recreation enthusiasts, such as hunters, hikers and campers who need assurance when traveling on or off the grid
"It has been our vision to seamlessly integrate satellite and terrestrial coverage, and through many years of research and development, we are thrilled to announce this proprietary new technology and service offering in order to expand the use and appeal of our mobile satellite services to a much larger addressable market," said Jay Monroe, Chairman and CEO of Globalstar. "Now that we have completed the deployment of our new constellation, Sat-Fi will have global appeal to those who need reliable connectivity beyond the cellular grid. As we continue to seamlessly integrate our satellite services into the everyday lives of our increasingly expanding subscriber base, this scalable technology represents a giant leap forward in achieving this fundamental goal. We have waited a long time to be in the position to announce this breakthrough product and I'd like to thank the entire development team for their unending perseverance."
Globalstar is expected to receive final FCC certification of Sat-Fi during the second quarter of 2014, with shipments starting shortly thereafter. The Company will then market and sell the product offering through its enterprise, government and consumer distribution network with planned extensions into OEM channels.
Globalstar's infosite is available at: http://www.globalstar.com/