[Satnews] In March of 2016, CABSAT, the largest exhibition and conference event in the Middle East and North Africa region to include a focus on communications technologies and services, will once again host a major Global VSAT Forum (GVF) program which, direct from the exhibition show floor, will provide attendees with engaging debate and illuminating insights within a proven and dynamic format.
GVF and CABSAT held the first dedicated satellite hub summit as a part of the CABSAT conferences suite in 2015, a much lauded innovative evolution from the earlier format of the GVF MENASAT Summits which ran until 2014.
The GVF Satellite Hub Summit @ CABSAT 2016 will be presented over two days, March 9 and 10, at Dubai World Trade Centre/Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre, taking place physically within the satellite area of the exhibition halls, using a dedicated, purpose built, centrally located and high-profile meetings facility. Not only does this bring the GVF Satellite Hub Summit closer to the exhibition space and to CABSAT’s thousands of visitors, but will offer participating organisations—sponsors and speakers—a higher level of visibility for their support for the event program, and for the vitally important dialogues and opportunities for networking that the program facilitates and promotes.
The Hub Summit will feature the kind participation of the International Telecommunication Union which will be represented in the program by Mitsuhiro Sakamoto, Head of the Space Systems Coordination Division of the Radiocommunication Bureau Space Services Department. Mr. Sakamoto will present the policy and practice perspectives of the ITU across various elements of the Hub Summit program.
The GVF Satellite Hub Summit @ CABSAT 2016 will be chaired by Martin Jarrold, Chief of International Program Development with GVF, who said, “GVF summit programs at CABSAT have a distinguished record. For example, the GVF Satellite Hub Summit @ CABSAT 2015 referenced the proceedings of the 2014 GVF MENASAT Summit which were filmed by a documentary production team from the Qatar-based broadcast news and current affairs channel, Al Jazeera. The 2014 GVF event was wholly focused on the subject of satellite interference and the filmed Summit content was prominently featured in the Al Jazeera documentary.”
The documentary referenced in Mr. Jarrold’s comments, which was entitled ‘Satellite Jamming’, was transmitted by Al Jazeera in May 2015, to coincide with the 150th Anniversary of the foundation of the International Telecommunication Union. The documentary’s content addressed issues surrounding deliberate satellite interference as well as addressed the causes of unintended interference. In preparing for this television program, the producer had requested the assistance of GVF in gathering relevant content in addition to the filming of the satellite interference dialogue. Subsequently, Mr. Jarrold was interviewed for the documentary, along with other commentators from affected and interested stakeholders. The English language version of the documentary is now available on YouTube and may be viewed at the GVF YouTube Channel link here.
The GVF Satellite Hub Summit @ CABSAT 2016 will feature a total of nine themed sessions:
- Session 1: MENA’s Satellite Broadcast & Telecoms: Overview of an Evolving Market Environment
- Session 2: Spectrum: Satellite and the Outcomes of the 2015 ITU World Radiocommunication Conference
- Session 3: High Throughput Satellites: Leveraging Advancing Technologies for Innovative
- Services – Mature, Evolving & Emergent Markets
- Session 4: Constellations for Connectivity: A New Dawn for Low Earth Orbit Solutions?
- Session 5: Cyber Security: How the Satellite Industry is Addressing the Challenge
- Session 6: From Niche to Mainstream: New Strategic Markets for VSAT with Communications on the Move
- Session 7: Ensuring an Interference-Free World of Satellite Services
- Session 8: Integrating the Digital World: Satellite, Big Data, the Internet of Things and the Cloud
- Session 9: Policy, Politics and Profit: Satcom for a Dynamic Marketplace
A detailed synopsis for each of the above sessions is available by visiting the following GVF Website link here.