- Fast-breaking news, devastating natural disasters, countries in crisis — unpredictable and often turbulent world events continue to unfold at breakneck speeds, placing unprecedented demands on broadcasters to cover every incident and update, no matter where or when they occur. Add to this the critical needs to keep abreast of advancing technology and to do more with less - you can see why broadcasters are being forced to create innovative and cost-effective solutions to stay competitive and profitable in these fast-moving times. So what is their secret sauce? To provide insight, the World Teleport Association, in conjunction with ScheduALL, is hosting How Dynamic 21st Century Advances are Impacting the Broadcast supply chain – New demands for Community, Connectivity and Collaboration, a panel discussion comprised of leading experts in the broadcast industry. This lively and informative event will be held on Tuesday, April 12, at 11 a.m. at the 2011 NAB Show (National Association of Broadcasters) at the Las Vegas Convention Center, at booth #SL 1705, ScheduALL’s exhibit booth in the South Lower hall. The moderator will be Robert Bell, Executive Director of the World Teleport Association. At press time, confirmed panelists include Chris Ehrenbard, Director of Broadcast Distribution at CBS; Tim Jackson, Vice President of Media Product Management at Intelsat; and Joel Ledlow, CEO of ScheduALL. All 2011 NAB Show attendees are welcome to attend the panel discussion, which promises to be an important and enlightening event for anyone interested or involved in the broadcast industry.
- SES ASTRA has signed an agreement with the Slovak telecommunications and TV operator Towercom for the use of one additional transponder on its 23.5 degrees East orbital position. Towercom will use the additional capacity starting June 1, 2011, to strengthen the bouquet of Skylink in Slovakia and the Czech Republic with additional content. With the new contract, Towercom uses a total of four transponders on ASTRA’s 23.5 degrees East orbital position for the Slovak and Czech markets. Since its re-launch in 2008, Skylink has developed into Slovakia’s and Czech Republic’s leading TV platform offering a variety of digital and High Definition television programmes delivered via satellite. To date, Skylink has distributed more than 1.3 million smart cards in Slovakia and the Czech Republic.
- Thomson Video Networks has announced that France Télévisions has launched DTV services for French-administered overseas territories, using an extensive and flexible Thomson headend technology solution. French overseas territories include locations in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans; the South American coast; and as far as Antarctica, with a combined population of more than 2.5 million. France Télévisions provides television services to the overseas territories through Réseau Outre-Mer 1ère, the French foreign broadcasting organization. Thomson Video Networks provided the headend technology for Réseau Outre-Mer 1ère to deliver its programming in SD and HD with MPEG-4 encoding. The solution encompasses a range of technologies from the extensive Thomson Video Networks product portfolio including: the Thomson ViBE EM1000 and EM3000 encoders, NetProcessor 9030 Multiplexers, and Sapphire MPEG servers. Redundancy management is provided by Thomson Amethyst switchers, with advanced delivery-chain monitoring capability supplied by Thomson Granite Sentinel digital TV probes. Reception of contributed feeds for rebroadcasting is handled by Thomson's RD5000 SD/HD MPEG-2/4 receiver/decoder.
At this year's NAB show, Verimatrix is excited about the recently announced addition of the DVB CA technology and team of experts from Comvenient to Verimatrix. Comvenient has a distinguished record in the payTV industry, having supplied advanced DVB CA systems to more than 100 operators since the company was formed in 2003. The combination of the Verimatrix widely adopted solutions for IP-based content protection and Comvenient's expertise in the DVB sector places the combined company at the forefront of content and revenue security technology. Visit the Company's booths SU6207 and SU3024 at NAB 2011 in Las Vegas. Highlighted products will include the full range of digital TV revenue security solutions for DVB, IPTV, Hybrid and Internet TV/OTT networks, based on the Verimatrix third generation Video Content Authority System, VCAS™ 3:
- VCAS for Internet TV integrating OTT security with standards-based adaptive rate streaming
- VCAS for DVB and DVB hybrid for a new breed of cardless security
- The award-winning VCAS for IPTV
April 4th, 2011
Of Interest To SatBroadcasting Professionals...