[SatNews] Globalstar Europe Satellite Services Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Globalstar Inc. (NYSE MKT: GSAT) and the leader in satellite messaging and emergency notification technologies, today announced the array of solutions for commercial fishing which it will demonstrate on stand 95 at Skipper Expo International 2015, March 6-7, in Galway, Ireland.
One of the highlights of the show will be the new Globalstar Sat-Fi™, the world’s most powerful satellite hotspot. Even when hundreds of miles from home, Sat-Fi allows up to eight crew members at a time to send texts, emails and make calls using their existing smartphone or tablet.
Globalstar has the only complete second generation satellite constellation in orbit today, resulting in reliable, clear voice and data connectivity for fishing crews and other workers who cannot rely on the mobile phone network. Also, because Globalstar’s satellites traverse the globe in Low Earth orbit, communications are free of annoying latency, ensuring voice and data connectivity is sustained.
The fishing business is complex and dynamic, and the need to stay in touch with fleet owners, customers, suppliers, port and fishing authorities, among others, is paramount. Many fishing fleet owners are also fish dealers, and they need to know the size and quality of any catch and be able to communicate with buyers rapidly in order to help them to establish informed prices as they take the fish to market.
“Increasingly, seafarers in commercial fishing demand clear and reliable voice communications, enabling them to speak directly with fish buyers even while far out at sea,” explains Robert Clarke, Duplex Sales Representative at Globalstar. “They have come to rely on today’s satellite telephones, the only viable solution for making and receiving phone calls wherever they are, miles outside of GSM range.”
Furthermore, working at sea can be hazardous, and crews need to know that they can contact emergency services speedily if assistance is needed. Crews also appreciate the ability to stay in touch with family, especially when away from home for extended periods, and at an affordable rate.
Results from a survey carried out by Spain-based Equipos Navales Industriales SA (ENISA) reveal that the company’s commercial fishing customers are increasingly relying on Globalstar satellite telephony. Guillermo Salas, ENISA’s Satellite Communications Manager shares one example: “A Spanish fishing customer commented thaton his vessel they use the Globalstar phone on a daily basis – ‘We must always keep a close eye on all our vessel costs and since Globalstar is more economical than the other satellite phone we have on board, we prefer it to make everyday phone calls,’ he said”.
At Skipper Expo 2015, visitors to Globalstar’s stand can learn more about how these innovations can increase their productivity:
- GSP-1700 Handheld Satellite Phone: Ideal for any fisherman who wants to make voice calls and be online while out at sea. With an RRP of €490 and a choice of very competitive voice and data tariffs, it offers crystal-clear voice quality and the fastest handheld data speeds available.
- GSP-1700 Marine Kit: Designed for use at sea, the marine helix antenna and various cable length options are ideal for all vessel sizes. The GSP-1700 Marine Kit retails at an RRP of €1,599.
- Sat-Fi™: With Sat-Fi, customers can use their smartphone or other Wi-Fi enabled device to send and receive calls, email and SMS text messages. Whether on land or at sea, up to eight Sat-Fi users will be able to maintain reliable connectivity when beyond cellular with one Sat-Fi device.
- Pre-paid & Post-paid Voice and Data: Globalstar offers the mobile satellite communications industry’s lowest cost pre-paid and post-paid voice and data service.
- Globalstar 9600™: With the 9600, Globalstar customers can use a convenient app to seamlessly pair their existing satellite phone and smartphone to send and receive email.
- SPOT Gen3™: A rugged and affordable satellite communications device providing messaging, one-button emergency contact, and GPS tracking. Since 2007, SPOT products have been used to initiate over 3,500 rescues globally. SPOT Gen3 retails at an RRP of €179.
- SPOT Trace™: GPS tracking device using satellite technology to track boats and other valuable gear. SPOT Trace retails at an RRP of €125.
“We regularly hear from our customers in the commercial fishing industry what a difference our products make to their businesses,” commented Clarke. “They tell us that our technology not only helps them to improve productivity and serve their customers better, but also provides fishing crews and their families valuable peace of mind.”
He continued, “Providing fishing crews with the communications tools they need is highly satisfying to everyone at Globalstar. Successfully doing this at the industry’s lowest prices highlights our ongoing commitment to supporting our sea-faring customers across the globe.”
Visit Globalstar at Skipper Expo International 2015, Galway Bay Hotel, Galway, Ireland - March 6-7.